Urine must be collected into a special preservative solution
To obtain a test kit email email@example.com
The test kit consists of:
- Urine sample jar containing preservative
- Antech instruction sheet for owner (or veterinarian) regarding collection
- Antech checklist form for veterinarian to complete
- Vetpath BRAF Instructions for Veterinarian.
The required sample is 40 mL free-catch (voided)
- A smaller volume of urine (10-25 mL) may be submitted though the sensitivity may be decreased (this is less likely to be a problem if a bladder mass can be visualised)
- A smaller volume may also limit option of the second level BRAF-PLUS test, if required (see above and below)
- Urine collected by cystocentesis or catheterisation is NOT recommended since the sensitivity may be decreased.
Urine should first be collected into a clean, dry container and transferred into the preservative within 15 minutes of collection
Once in the preservative, urine is stable for several days at room temperature when kept out of direct sunlight
Short periods of refrigeration should not affect the specimen but refrigeration is not necessary
Urine collection may take place over 2-3 days as long as each aliquot is promptly placed into the preservative solution and stored out of direct sunlight.
Vetpath prepares cytocentrifuge smears from the urine. These smears are sent to USA for testing.
If the submitted sample does not have detectable BRAF mutation, the BRAF-PLUS test for other relevant genomic signatures (see above) will automatically be performed at no additional charge. However, because more DNA is required to perform the BRAF-PLUS assay, a small number of samples that are BRAF-undetected will not be eligible for the BRAF-PLUS assay, and a new urine sample must be submitted (which will incur a second charge).
When a mass is detected, histologic confirmation of TCC/UC is recommended which may also indicate whether the mass has invaded the muscle wall. Further imaging and evaluation of local lymph nodes should be performed to stage the disease.